THE DREADED YELLOW BOX
There it is. The big yellow box filled with other tiny humans laughing and comparing sun tans. My humans are waiting to be taken away. There goes all my super fun adventures. My favorite noisy little footsteps throughout the house will be no more. I now stare through the window and hope for my humans to return.
Are these the thoughts running through your dog’s head, too? Back to school can be stressful on your pup. So we compiled some tips to help ease your dog to your new schedule:
- Easy Goes It – Let’s face it, we are creatures of habit, so changing a schedule is not ideal. However, start getting the whole house up a bit earlier a few weeks before the kids go back to school. Maybe even make breakfast if you’re ambitious enough. It’ll help you get into the routine and will be a more gradual period of change for him.
- Get a Move on – Even the total couch potatoes need to get out and stretch their legs (I’m looking at you, greyhounds!). Walking your dog in the morning before work/school can help keep the little one stay out of trouble during the day. Yes, that means you need to get your butt out of the bed earlier. Good luck with that. Pro tip: try trips to the park and play sessions that way he can run his little heart out, while all you need to do is throw a ball.
- Calm and Steady– You know, don’t run out of the house like a bat out of hell, no screaming or frantic movements, and you know what… while you’re at it just don’t even say the magic words. (i.e. let’s go, we’re leaving, or car rides – yeah they’re all banned)
- Toys and puzzles – Puzzle and treat dispensers can be a really good time if your dog is a maniac about treats and smart enough to figure the puzzles out.
- Get a dog walker or Doggy Day Care – Trust me, most dog walkers are more responsible than The Secret Life of Pets dog walker… and it can be life changing for the pup! It’ll give your dog exercise and also get him to socialize with other dogs to break up the long day.
- Calming product – If all else fails, calming products are very soothing for stressed out pups. Ark Naturals’ Happy Traveler is a natural herbal calming formula which helps eases anxiety and is great for separation anxiety, travel anxiety, socializing new environments, thunderstorms, fireworks, and more.
With a fun filled day for the pup, he won’t feel like he’s anxiously waiting. The big yellow school bus won’t only be the dreaded contraption that takes his humans away. Rather it be the magical carriage that brings them back home.