Fall is honestly the best time of year, however, most of the fall festivities revolve around food. If you’re anything like me, you almost always have the urge to sneak a few bites to your beautiful big eyed babe. Who, might I add, is conveniently staring right up at you while you’re lifting a savory, delicious snack to your mouth. We all do it. We just have to be careful how often we do it, and with what type of food.
Not only is it tempting to feed our pups people food, but what’s even more tempting is all the adorable Halloween baked treats at the pet stores! It’s like a trip to Target, one minute you’re in there for some face wipes and paper towels, and the next minute your cart is filled with one of everything from the store. In any case, just as we want to indulge in a few goodies this fall, we want our pups to enjoy their treats, too. Sometimes that indulgent treat can turn to a full out binge (no judgement) but it happens.
Here are some signs of a belly ache and what it means in a dog:
- Loud stomach gurgling: This is the process of breaking down food in the gut
- Excessive gas: Unbalanced diets cause excessive fermentation in the colon and subsequent gas formation. Soybeans, peas, beans, milk products, high-fat diets and spicy foods are all commonly associated with flatulence in dogs.
- Little to no appetite: Feeding your dog extra treats during the day that are tastier and more interesting than his normal dry diet can cause a finicky appetite to develop.
- Vomiting: Simply put, eating too much too fast = bad tummy ache
- Diarrhea: The concentration of food molecules in the intestine is too high, which draws water into the intestine by the excess molecules, which causes the runny stool/diarrhea
- Burping: Similar to excessive gas, burping can be an indicator of a belly ache
- Bad Breath: Increase of bacteria that produces odor in your dog’s mouth and stomach.
If you feel your dog has had too many treats this season, give him Ark Naturals’ Gentle Digest capsules or chews. Gentle Digest helps to aid digestion by breaking down food into nutrients that can be readily absorbed. The two main ingredients for this probiotic/prebiotic is made from chicory root and dried bacillus coagulans.
Ark Naturals is the preeminent brand of health and wellness products for pets. Ark Naturals has created and produced highly effective formulas for over 20 years. Our products are designed to offer natural remedies for an array of pet care needs including oral care (dental), joint relief, skin & coat remedies, cognitive function, calming, digestion, and overall wellness. All-natural products and revolutionary formulas provide a better, more fulfilling life for your pet.