Every pet parent is cautious of fleas and ticks. Nobody wants to talk about it because it makes us feel like we failed at protecting our loved ones. We do everything we can to prevent any infestation of fleas and ticks with skin treatments each month, tablets, collars, and sprays.
But these guys are ruthless and they’re only after one thing: blood. Once they find their host, they live their life in the lap of luxury. They’ve got a warm home and an ample food source right under their pesky claws! Not only can they suck up 15 times their body weight in blood daily, but they work fast to multiple. Female fleas can lay 40 to 50 eggs a day and that egg hatches anywhere from two days to two weeks.
Remember, fleas and ticks are lurking everywhere and hoping to find their next victim to feed on at all times. You can find these critters essentially anywhere, so here are a few of the most over looked areas fleas can enter your life.
- Toys – Does your pup bring toys outside with him? Left out on the lawn is an easy transfer into your house.
- Carpet – Once these guys find a way into your home, the easiest way for them to hoist themselves on pets is through the carpet.
- Garbage Can – Is there a chance you find a furry friend in the morning feeding off your last night’s dinner? Yeah, that furry friend can have fleas which can be transferred into your yard.
- Tall Grass – Going for a walk? What about the dog park? Does it look like it hasn’t been mowed in a few weeks? Tall grass can be a perfect prowling ground for fleas and ticks
- Clothing – Larvae feed on dandruff, discarded skin and other animal/human waste that is readily found in human clothing.
September is the most beautiful time to be outside, but it is also the worst time of the year for fleas and ticks. So pack your schedules with as many adventures as possible because we have a few tips that can help take the fear out of bringing home the unwanted pests!
- Stay up to date on monthly oral/topical treatments recommended by your vet
- Use all-natural sprays that repel fleas and ticks (and mosquitos!) such as, Ark Naturals’ Flea Flicker! Tick Kicker! Which is safe for both dogs AND cats.
- Trim your trees and bushes and mow your lawn regularly to avoid any unwanted pests
- Spray your yard (all-natural solutions or home mixtures are an option) to repeal and kill fleas and ticks.
- Apple cider vinegar makes your dog less appealing to fleas and ticks because it makes your dog’s blood more acidic. Add 2 tablespoons to your dog’s food or water each day.
Check out our blog next week to read all about how to treat fleas and ticks once you’ve found them on your dog’s coat!
Ark Naturals is the preeminent brand of health and wellness products for pets. Ark Naturals has created and produced highly effective formulas for over 20 years. Our products are designed to offer natural remedies for an array of pet care needs including oral care (dental), joint relief, skin & coat remedies, cognitive function, calming, digestion, and overall wellness. All-natural products and revolutionary formulas provide a better, more fulfilling life for your pet.